Andhra Pradesh is known for pickles or chutney made from any vegetable. Cucumber chutney is a most popular pickle which goes well with hot Rice and Ghee or Dosa or Roti. Njoy Cooking, Serving and Savoring!
Dosakaya (cucumber) : 2 nos
Tamarind: Small lemon size
Dhaniya/Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Channa dal: 1/2 tsp
Red chilli: 4/5 nos
Green chillies: 3 nos
Coriander leaves: 1 small bunch
Salt as required.
- Urad dal: 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Wash the cucumber (dosakaya), deseed and cut into tiny pieces.
- Tip: The seeds can be used for making spicy powder which can be consumed with hot rice and ghee I will post the recipe.
- Heat kadai and pour 1 table spoon of oil.
- Fry Urad dal, Channa dal and Coriander seeds till they turn to nice light brown colour.
- Add red chillies and fry for one minute.
- Transfer them to a dry plate. Let it cool.
- Meanwhile soak the tamarind for 10 min.
- Grind fried ingredients to a fine powder. Add soaked tamarind, green chillies and coriander leaves and grind them again.
- Add this mixture to finely chopped cucumber pieces and mix thoroughly with hand or spoon so that the ground mixture coats the cucumber pieces well.
- Temper this pachadi with tempering ingredients.
- Dosakaya pachadi is ready to serve with rice or with dosa.