Sorakaya majjiga pulusu (Bottle gourd buttermilk stew)
Bottle gourd: 1 cup 1 inch cubes
Besan flour: 2 tbsp
Thick curd: 3 cups
Green chillies: 4
Oil for tempering: 1tbsp
Salt as required
Grated fresh coconut: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Few curry leaves
Dry red chillies: 2
Method of Preparation:
- Clean the sorakaya mukka (Bottle gourd) and cut into cubes of equal size.
- Put a heavy bottomed vessel on stove, add three cups of water and Bottle gourd chops. Bring it to boil.
- Cut green chillies length wise and add to the sorakaya mukkalu (Bottle gourd pieces).
- Meanwhile beat the curd, add 2 cups water and mix well. Take the besan (gram) flour and add water slowly to make smooth paste. Add this to the beaten curd.
- Once the sorakaya mukkalu (Bottle gourd cubes) are cooked, slowly add buttermilk to it.
- Keep stirring continuously to avoid breaking of buttermilk .Bring it to boil for five minutes. Now add required amount of salt according to your taste.
- In a small kadai take 1 tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds, once they pop out add cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Pour this onto majjiga pulusu. In the same kadai dry roast fresh coconut for a minute and add this also to majjiga pulusu.
- Now it’s ready to serve with rice, chapathi even idly too.
Variations to majjiga pulusu
- If you have time soak 2 tbsp of chana dal for 2 hours and grind with grated fresh coconut into a smooth paste . Add this paste to buttermilk before bring it to boil. Remaining procedure is same as above.
- You can add your favourite veggies like drumstick, white pumpkin, brinjal, carrot.
- While boiling majjiga pulusu you should continuously stir till it comes to the boiling point, to avoid chances of breaking butter milk.
- Desiccated coconut powder can also be used when fresh coconut is not readily available at home.