Chow chow pachadi(Seeme badnekay/ Bangalore vankaya chutney)
Chow chow (Bangalore Brinjal) is famous in Tamilnadu as well in Karnataka and few parts of Andhra Pradesh, usually used in sambar, kootu, curry or pachadi. Today I made pachadi with chow chow to relish our taste buds. Njoy Cooking, Serving and Savoring!
Chow chow: 1 no
Red chillies: 6/7 nos
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Dhaniya: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: few
Oil: 2 tbsp
Tamarind: small lemon size
Salt : as required
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Method of cooking:
1. Clean chow chow, peel the skin and cut into small pieces. Meanwhile soak tamarind in a cup of warm water.
2. Heat kadai and pour 1tbsp of oil. Add urad dal, chana dal, dhaniya and fenugreek seeds till golden brown colour. At this point add red chillies also and fry for a moment. Transfer them into a plate.
3. In the same kadai add little oil and fry chopped chow chow pieces till it becomes soft. This takes approximately 10 min. Transfer this also to a plate and allow it to cool.
4. Now take a mixer grinder and grind fried ingredients (except chow chow) to a fine powder along with red chillies.
5. Now add tamarind and grind them again.
6. Finally add chow chow pieces and just whip it for a moment.
7. Transfer the pachadi to a bowl temper with tempering ingredients.
Delicious pachadi is ready to serve with rice or idli even with dosa.
Tip: Here in this recipe I used only red chillies. Actually you can mix green chillies too. If you are using green chillies then reduce the quantity of red chillies or take both in equal proportions. Rest of the procesure remains same.