First thing that comes to sight at the thought of Pongal is a ‘Temple Prasadam’. As a kid, I think I made more visits to temple for ‘Sakkarai Pongal.
Be it a Pooja at home or a Festival or a requirement for Dessert or a delicacy to be cooked superfast, ‘Sakkarai Pongal’ blends well. Sharing with you this exotic recipe. Njoy Cooking, Serving and Savoring!
Rice: 1 cup
Moong dal: 1/3 cup
Jaggery: 1 1/2 cup
Chana dal: 1 tbsp
Cardamom: 4/5 nos
Cashews: 1 tbsp
Raisins: 1 tbsp
Badam: few (optional)
Coconut: 1 tbsp (finely chopped fresh coconut)
Ghee: 2 tbsp
Method of preparation:
- Mix rice, moong dal and chana dal together. Rinse them once and drain the water.
- Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook them for 3 whistles.
- Take a vessel with one cup of water and add jaggery into it. Boil the jaggery you get a string like consistency. Add cardamom, crushed using mortar & pestle while Jaggery syrup is boiling.
- Once the pressure cools down remove the lid and mix well with a dry spatula.
- Strain jaggery syrup to filter any dirt and add to cooked rice and dal. Mix thoroughly.
6. Let it cook for 5 minutes om low flame or till you get the desired consistency.
7. In a small kadai(wok), pour ghee and fry dry fruits and finely chopped fresh coconut pieces and pour them onto the pongal.
8. Transfer them into a serving bowl and serve hot.