Ven Pongal or Khara Pongal – easiest and safest food for people of all age groups. Njoy Cooking, Serving and Savouring!
Rice: 1 cup
Moong dal: 1/3-1/2 cup
Salt : as required
Jeera/ cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Ghee: 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Jeera: 1 tsp
Whole black pepper : 1 tsp
Ginger: 1 inch piece( finely chopped)
Method of preparation:
1. Dry roast Moong dal and Rice separately for two minutes or until they turn hot and transfer them in a pressure cooker.
2. Add 4 1/2-5 cups (Usually I use old rice so I prefer 5 cups of water) of water and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (to enhance the flavour) and pressure cook for 3 – 4 whistles.
3. Allow the pressure to cool down and remove the lid slowly. Mix thoroughly till the cooked dal and rice mixture becomes mushy. Add required amount of salt.
4. Now in a small pan pour ghee, add mustard seeds once it pops out add jeera, cashews, curry leaves and ginger and fry for a minute. Add whole black pepper too and pour this onto Pongal.
Now the Ven Pongal is ready to be served hot with coconut chutney.
1. Usually I use old rice and for 1 cup of rice I prefer 1/3 cup moong dal for better taste .
2. While adding pepper few pepper I add before while cooking rice and remaining pepper either I crush them or add it as a whole to tempering. The idea of adding pepper before cooking is to consume them directly.