Toor dal (Red gram dal): 2 cups
Whole black pepper: 2/3 cup
Raw rice: 1 tsp
Red chillies: 3/4 nos.
Cumin seeds /jeera: 2 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
- Heat kadai and first dry roast toor dal using 1/2 tsp of ghee.
- Then add rice, whole black pepper and cumin seeds.
- Dry roast all the ingredients till nice aroma comes .This entire process will take approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Switch off the stove and add red chillies too and leave it for 2 minutes but keep on mixing for proper transfer of heat and also to avoid over burning.
- Transfer them into a flat plate and allow to cool down to room temperature.
- Now take a mixer grinder and grind the roasted ingredients to a smooth fine powder.
- Once again transfer the powder onto a flat plate and allow to cool down and transfer the rasam powder to an airtight container.
- whenever making rasam just add 2 tsp of rasam powder while boiling.
- This rasam powder can be added to garlic rasam, pepper rasam , dal rasam or mulakkada (Drumstick) rasam or even tomato rasam too.
- It gives nice flavour and also good consistency to the rasam .
- We are adding raw rice of about 1 tbsp to get proper consistency while making rasam