Chana dal: 1 cup
Coriander seeds: 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 cup
Whole black pepper corns: 1 tsp
Red chilli: 10-15 nos.
Method of preparation:
- Take a kadai dry roast all the ingredients with few drops of oil one by one.
- First we should dry roast the chana dal on low flame. When it turns into light brown colour add whole black pepper corns, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds together and fry for 5 minutes till nice aroma comes.
- Switch off the stove and then add red chillies. The heat present is sufficient enough to fry them.
- Transfer them into a flat plate and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
- Now take a mixer grinder and grind them to a coarse powder and transfer into a plate.
- In the process of grinding heat generates .So after 10-15 min once it becomes normal temperature transfer into an airtight container and can be used for 2 months for making sambar.
When sambar starts boiling just add 2 heaped tsp of sambar powder and mix it thoroughly and again boil the sambar for five more minutes . It gives very nice taste and aroma to the sambar.