Thotakura ,which is called as Amaranth leaves in English is a leafy vegetable with lot of nutrition values.This is also referred as chinese spinach.This is widely used in authentic Andhra recipes like thotakura vepudu(Stir fry),thotakura pappu(Dal) and thotakura pulusu(Stew).If you are bored with routine thotakura stir fry and dal,thotakura pulusu will definitely pacify your taste buds.Thotakura pulusu is very easy,tasty n delicious dish spiced up with mustard paste,chillies and sweetened with jaggery.Here I present how to make simple thotakura ava pettina pulusu.
Thotakura(Amaranth leaves): 2 bunches/ 2 cups leaves
Green chillies: 3 nos.
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Rice flour: 1 tbsp
Jaggery: 1 tsp
Salt: as required
Tamarind: small lemon sized.
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Jeera: 1 tsp
Methi seeds: 1 tsp
Hing: a pinch .
Method of preparation
1.Rinse thoroughly the thotakura leaves for 3/4 times and finely chop them.
2.Take a vessel pour three cups of water and bring it to boil for 10-15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile soak small lemon sized tamarind in hot water and extract the pulp.
4.Take a small cup put 1 tbsp of rice flour and add one cup of water.
5. Once the leaves are cooked add turmeric , required amount of salt , tamarind pupl and rice flour with water.Add the jaggery also.
6. Mix all the ingredients with a ladle and boil it on low flame for 15 minutes.The pulusu should get the thick flowing consistency.
7. Take a small kadai pour 1 tbsp of oil put mustard seeds once it pops out add jeera and methi seeds along with red chillies and hing too.Add the tempering to the pulusu.
8. Switch off the stove and allow it to cool down.
9. Meanwhile take a mixer grinder put 1 tsp mustard seeds grind to a fine powder.Add 3 or 4 green chillies and grind to a smooth paste .
10. Add this paste to thotakura pulusu. Mix thoroughly and keep aside atleast for half hour and can be served with rice.
1.While making Ava(Mustard) related recipes ava should be added when the dish comes to normal temperature. Otherwise it imparts bitter taste when added hot.
2.Whenever for making pulusu using rice flour with water, before pouring mix it once and the clear water should be used for better consistency and taste.
3. Without adding Ava this thotakoora pulusu can be consumed as soup.