It’s our (Indian) tradition serving buttermilk to our guests on any day.
Buttermilk is a great refreshment on a hot summer day. Actually the traditional buttermilk was the liquid left behind when churning butter out of cream. The churning can be done with a traditional wooden churner or using a hand blender. Here I present simple buttermilk. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Curd: 1 cup
Water : 5 cups
Salt: 1 tsp(As required)
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp(Or 1 lemon)
Cumin(Jeera powder): 1 tsp
Ginger: half inch piece
Green chilli: 1 no.
Coriander leaves: few
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: one sprig(Few)
Asafoetida : A pinch
Oil: 1 tsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Take one cup of curd into a vessel.Add cumin powder, crused ginger, finely chopped coriander leaves,finely chopped green chilli and salt.
2. Beat them once with a churner.
3. Pour 5 cups of water into it and churn thoroughly with churner for 2 minutes.Finally add lemon juice and mix well.
Without adding tempering also buttermilk can be consumed.
4.Heat small kadai put 1 tsp of oil,add mustard seeds. When it pops out add hing n curry leaves.Switch off the stove allow it to cool down.Pour this tempering onto the buttermilk.
Now the buttermilk is ready. Pour into glasses and can be served chilled.
1.For making buttermilk either add chilled water or ice cubes during serving.But adjust the salt quantity while adding ice cubes.
2. Tempering and adding spices are optional, you can omit this.Otherwise also tastes good with just adding salt and water.
3. Quantity of water also can be adjusted according to desired consistency.