The first South Indian breakfast comes to our mind is idly. Idly is simple and delicious when served with different varieties of chutneys and sambar too. It’s healthy and nutritious food for all ages from infants to elderly people.If the batter is ready, just in 15 minutes time we can make soft, tasty idlies. Proper fermentation , quality of urad dal plays important role for soft and fluffy idlies. Here I present simple idly with coconut chutney. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Urad dal( black gram/ black lentils): 1 cup
Idly rawa : 3 cups
Salt : As required
Water: approx. 1.5 cups for grinding
Method of preparation :
1.Rinse and Soak 1 cup of urad dal for 3-4 hours in a vessel.
2. In a separate bowl take 3 cups of idly Rawa and soak in water separately.
3. After 3 hours drain the water of urad dal and put it in a wet grinder.
4. Grind to a smooth paste adding little water.If the quality of urad dal is good it yields more fluffy batter.This process will take approximately 20 minutes.
5. Meanwhile drain the excess water present in rawa and squeeze the remaining water with clean hands and put it in a vessel.
6. Now transfer the urad dal batter into a vessel .
7. Add both urad dal batter and idly rawa together. Mix thoroughly adding required amount of salt. For this quantity approximately 1 tbsp of salt would be sufficient.
8. Transfer the batter into two big vessels and allow it for fermentation overnight leaving enough space.Cover with lids.
9. Next day morning take a idly mould or pressure cooker , pour enough water(approx 4 glasses)Grease the idly plates with ghee and pour small laddle full of batter into it.The remaining batter can be refrigerated and used for one more week.
10. Idlies are steamed on low to medium flame for 15-20 minutes.
11. Switch off the stove and wait for five minutes to cool down the pressure.
12. Remove the idlies and transfer them onto a plate . Serve hot pouring ghee on idlies with coconut chutney.
This is lovely and enjoyable variant of idli with idly karam podi.Sprinkle idly karam podi/ idly chilli powder and pour 1 tsp of melted ghee on top of each idly. This is called guntur idly. This can be served hot as it is or with any chutney or sambar.