Coconut chutney is popular South Indian chutney goes well with any breakfast delicacies like dosa, pongal, uthappam , rava dosa, idly even for poori.Even simple idly tastes great with delicious accompaniments. This chutney is mildly spiced adding 1/2 cup of milk and tempered with tadka, curry leaves. Here I present simple coconut chutney. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Coconut: 1 cup( broken pieces)
Green chillies: 2/3 nos.
Roasted Bengal gram (Putnalu): 1 tbsp
Milk: 1/2 cup
Salt: As required
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Jeera: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Curry leaves : few
Hing: A pinch
Red chilli: 1 no.
Method of preparation:
1. Break coconut into two halves. Take one half completely and remove the coconut from shell, cut into pieces.
2. Take a mixer grinder put coconut pieces, roasted bengal gram, green chillies with required amount of salt.
3. Grind them once till they become into fine powder. Add one cup of water and grind once again to become smooth paste.
4. Now add half cup of milkand mix well to get required consistency.
5. Transfer it into a bowl and do the tempering.
6. For the tempering heat kadai pour 1 tbsp of oil put chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin. Once mustard pops out add pinch of hing, curry leaves, red chilli and fry for a minute.Pour the tempering onto the chutney and can be served with idly, dosa, uthappam etc.
1. Here I used coconut pieces for making chutney. You can use fresh grated coconut also. I tried with both but making chutney with coconut pieces tasted better.
2. I used milk for the consistency; you can use coconut water too for the consistency. I use either of it.They both give sweetish taste to the chutney.
3. If you want restaurant style coconut chutney while grinding you can add either 2/3 garlic flakes or small ginger piece. Remaining procedure is the same.