Actually this is my friend’s recipe. I once tasted at her house with ven pongal.The taste was awesome. This podi chutney is exclusively made for pongal.This powder is made with urad dal, jeera and few regular kitchen ingredients mixing with water.If you want to try new accompaniment for pongal other than coconut chutney, sambar absolutely no doubt this will be the best. Here I present delightful podi chutney for delicious pongal. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Urad dal: 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tbsp
Red chillies: 6/7 nos.
Curry leaves: Few( 2 sprigs)
Copra powder: 3 tbsp( dry coconut powder)
Sugar: 5 tsp
Tamarind: Small lemon sized
Salt: as required
Oil: Few drops for roasting.
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch.
Oil: 1 tsp for tempering
Method of preparation:
1. Dry roast all the ingredients with few drops of oil.
2. First put small kadai sprinkle 1/2 drops of oil put Urad dal and roast the urad dal on low flame.
3. Fry till it turns into golden brown colour and transfer onto a plate.
4. Now roast jeera or cumin seeds for a minute and transfer onto a plate.
5. Fry copra powder also for a minute and put in a plate. Fry red chillies also.
6. Now roast curry leaves along with tamarind and transfer onto a plate.
7. Allow the roasted ingredients to cool down to room temperature. Add 5 tsp of sugar too.
8. Take a mixer grinder and grind all the ingredients with salt till it becomes fine powder.
9. Now transfer the 2 tbsp of powder into a bowl and mix 1/2 cup of water to become smooth paste.
10. Tempering is to be done with mustard seeds, jeera, a pinch of hing and pour onto the chutney.
11. Now the podi chutney is ready and can be served with hot Pongal.
The left over powder is stored in refrigerator and can be used later for pongal