Noolkol is called German Turnip. It’s abundant in South India. Noolkol belongs to cabbage family. It’s crunchy in texture with full of dietary fibre.We can make poriyal or kootu with Noolkol. Both dishes taste delicious. Here I present simple Noolkol poriyal/stir fry to be served hot with steamed rice and sambar or rasam.Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Noolkol: 2 nos.
Grated fresh coconut: 2 tbsp
Salt: as required
Turmeric: A pinch
Curry powder: 1 tsp (check the blog for curry powder recipe which I have posted earlier)
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Hing: a pinch
Oil: 1 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Wash thoroughly and Peel the skin of Noolkol.
2. Chop the Noolkol into small pieces or cubes.
3. Steam boil the Noolkol for 10 minutes.
4. Heat a small kadai put 1 tbsp of oil add mustard seeds. When it pops out add urad dal,chana dal and cumin seeds into it. Add red chillies and a pinch of hing too.
5. Now add the boiled Noolkol cubes, curry leaves and fry for 2 minutes. Add required amount of salt.
6. Add grated fresh coconut, curry powder and fry for a minute. Now the Noolkol poriyal/stir fry is ready and can be served hot with steamed rice or roti.