Basundi is an Indian traditional dessert/sweet especially made during festivals like Ganesh Chathurthi, Dussehra (Navarathri )or Deepavali (Diwali).This is favourite and very popular sweet in states of Gujarat , Maharashtra n Karnataka.The procedure appears to be lengthy but the taste of Basundi is amazing.So during any occasion making Basundi @ home is worthwhile.I made Basundi with milk without adding any condensed milk or mithai mate.Basundi is highly nutritious, rich in protein content and so delicious. Here I present Basundi to be served any day to pacify our appetite. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Milk: 1 1/2 litres (full fat milk)
Sugar: 3/4 cup
Cardamom pods: 5/6 nos.
Saffron: few strands
Chironji: 1 tbsp
Almonds: 2 tbsp
Cashews: 1 tbsp
Pistachios: 1 tbsp
Method of preparation:
1. Take 1 1/2 litres of milk in a vessel and bring it to boil.
2. Transfer the milk into a heavy bottomed vessel or non stick pan.
3. Continue boiling milk till it reduces to half of its quantity. Add 3/4 cup of sugar into it and mix thoroughly.
4. This takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Meanwhile soak few almonds in water for half hour.
6. Peel the skin of almonds and keep aside.
7. Take small Kadai , dry roast 1/2 tbsp of chironji for 1 minute or till the raw smell goes. Transfer them onto a plate.
8. Finely chop all the dry fruits into pieces and transfer them onto a plate. Only chironji has to be roasted other dry fruits no need to roast.
9. Take a mixer grinder grind the roasted chironji, few cashews and pista into powder.Add cardamom pods also with this.
10. Pour the powder into the boiling milk.
11. Grind the peeled almonds into powder.
12. Put the almond powder also into the boiling milk and keep stirring continuously.Add saffron too.
13. Keep on stirring the milk continuously without sticking to the bottom of the Pan approximately for 5 minutes.
14. Now we get the thick consistency to the milk.Now the yummilicious Basundi is ready.
15. Switch off the flame and transfer the Basundi into a serving bowl. Garnish them with dry fruits and saffron ,refrigerate for 1 hour and can be served later.
1. Dry fruits for making Basundi , half of them are ground and remaining half is to be used for garnishing.Grinding of dry fruits gives perfect consistency and enhances the flavour.
2. If you want to speedup the cooking process you can use half full fat milk and remaining half condensed milk.But already condensed milk contains good amount of sweetness. So adjust the quantity of sugar accordingly.