Saffron Kesari is made with saffron strands as key ingredient. Saffron is our culinary treasure which is widely used as food additive. Saffron threads are used in biriyanis, various kheers/payasams ,kesari , lassi and also cakes, pastries to get nice aroma and yellow hue. Saffron has so many health benefits and highly nutritious. Here I present simple saffron kesari made with sooji , few saffron threads and sugar to please our senses. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Saffron strands: 15-20 nos.
Bombay rava/Sooji: 1 cup
Sugar: 1 cup
Cardamom pods: 4/5 nos.
Cashews: 1 tbsp or 7/8 nos.
Raisins: 1 tbsp or 10 nos.
Ghee: 1 1/2-2 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Heat Kadai/wok pour ghee and put cashews first. I have not used almonds, if using fry them along with cashews.
2. Once cashews turn light brown add raisins and fry them till they swell up well.
3. Now add one cup of rava and roast the rava along with dry fruits till nice aroma comes. This process will take approximately 8- 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile in another vessel take 1 cup of sugar and pour 3 1/2 cups of water.
5. Heat the vessel, add saffron threads/strands and allow the sugar to dissolve completely by stirring continuously.
6. Now bring the sugar syrup to boil. The saffron strands give sugar syrup beautiful yellow colour after boiling. Add cloves to the sugar syrup.
7. Add the crushed cardamom pods to the sugar syrup.
8. Now the rava also turned into light brown colour.
9. Now slowly and carefully pour the sugar syrup onto the roasted rava and mix rapidly to avoid forming lumps.
10. Keep the stove on low flame. Cook the kesari stirring at intervals till smooth and soft texture comes or till ghee oozes out of the kesari.This will take approximately 7-8 minutes.
11. Now the delicious and mouth melting Saffron Kesari is ready to serve.Transfer the saffron kesari onto a serving bowl an serve hot.