Vankaya kottimeera karam
Vankaya kottimeera karam ( brinjal curry)is Authentic Andhra dish especially prepared with fresh kottimeera (coriander leaves).I have prepared this dish only with fresh coriander leaves and green chilies. I have not added any ginger,garlic or red chillies because to retain its vibrant green colour and nice aroma of coriander leaves. This is classic recipe of Telugu people made particularly(in Godavari districts of Andhra Pradesh)during wedding days. In this recipe I have used long purple brinjals. This recipe can be prepared by stuffing brinjals with coriander leaves paste or brinjals cut into pieces to make curry and later add the coriander paste to the cooked brinjals. Here I present spicy, aromatic brinjal coriander curry which can be served with hot steamed rice drizzled with tsp of gingelly oil or topped with melted ghee. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Brinjal: 250 gms
Green chillies: 3 or 4 nos.
Coriander leaves : 2 big bunches
Milk: Half cup(my secret ingredient)
Oil: 2 tbsp
Black gram(Urad dal): 1 tsp
Bengal gram(Chana dal): 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Clean and rinse thoroughly 2 big bunches of coriander leaves. Keep them aside.
2. Rinse the brinjals, cut them into pieces and immediately put them in salt n turmeric water to avoid change of colour.
3. Now heat Kadai pour little oil, add mustard, urad dal, chana dal n cumin seeds, when mustard pops add pinch of hing and transfer the tempering onto a plate.
4. In the same Kadai fry cashews till they change colour and transfer them also onto the same plate.
5. Now in the same Kadai pour oil,add salt and turmeric.
6. Slowly put all the chopped brinjal pieces into the Kadai. Mix thoroughly.
7. Cook the brinjals on low flame.
8. When the brinjals just becoming soft prepare the coriander paste using mixer grinder.
9. Take a mixer grinder, grind coriander and green chillies into a smooth and fine paste.
10. Add the coriander paste to the cooked brinjal pieces. Mix the mixture with spatula so that the coriander paste coats the brinjal pieces.
11. Add 1 tbsp of tamarind extract and continue to cook on low flame for 5 more minutes. Add little water if needed.I have added half cup of milk to the curry for mild sweet taste.
12. Cook the brinjal curry till oil oozes out of it.
13. Transfer the brinjal curry onto a serving bowl and garnish with already prepared tempering. Now the amazing brinjal coriander curry( Vankaya kottimeera karam) is ready and can be served with hot steamed rice.