Ragi idly/Finger millet idly
Ragi idly is another variation of idlis. In olden days(a generation ago) especially in South India millets like ragulu (finger millet), korralu (foxtail millet), sajjalu(Pearl millet) were included in regular diet along with rice,lentils. Again nowadays consumption of millet increased due to awareness of its enormous healthy benefits.Nutritionists recommending from infants(8 months age) to older people to include finger millet in regular diet. Finger millets are good source of calcium and rich in iron content. At least once in a week its advised by pediatricians and dieticians to consume finger millet in our meal. In this recipe I have used finger millet flour to prepare idlies. The recipe is very simple. Just add 2 tbsp of Ragi(ragulu in telugu) flour to 1 1/2 cups of regular idly batter and steam like normal idlies. Here I present nutritious and tasty Ragi idly. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Normal idli batter: 1 1/2 cups
Ragi flour: 2 tbsp
Salt: As required
Method of preparation:
1. Take 1 1/2 cups of idly batter in a bowl.
2. To that idly batter add 2 tbsp of Ragi flour( Finger Millet flour).
3. Mix thoroughly with a spatula so that no lumps are formed. Now the Ragi idly batter is ready to make idlies.
4. Now take pressure cooker or idly steamer. Pour 2 cups of water in the pressure cooker .
5. Take idly plates , grease them with ghee and pour Ragi idly batter onto the greased idly plates.
6. Keep the idly plates in pressure cooker and steam them approximately for 15-20 minutes on low to medium flame or till the idlies are cooked. Don’t keep the whistle(Weight) of the pressure cooker while steaming idlies.
7. Switch off the flame after 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to settle for 5 minutes and open the lid.
8. Keep the Ragi idly plates outside and transfer them onto a serving plate with idly spatula.
9. Now the delicious Ragi idlies are ready and can be served with any chutney of your choice and topped with melted ghee.
10. You can serve Ragi idlies along with normal idlies too.
I have used normal idly batter (1 1/2 cups)and added 2 tbsp of Ragi flour to prepare 4-6 Ragi idlies. Remaining batter I make normal idlies. Instead of that you can add approximately 1 cup of Ragi flour to the total idli batter. Idly batter is prepared with 1 cup of urad dal and 3 cups of idly rava. Check my idly batter recipe.