Drumstick pindi mirium
Pindi mirium is an authentic dish of Nellore district(Andhra Pradesh) and also popular in Andhra. Pindimirium is a nutritious dish which is prepared by roasting ingredients like chana dal, toor dal, rice and pepper and made into a paste. This ground paste is added to the cooked lentils and veggies and simmered on low flame. This pindi mirium is a very good accompaniment to rice along with papads or even with Homemade fryums. Here I present comforting, calming and tasty drumstick Pindi mirium to enjoy the day. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Drumsticks: 2 nos.
Toor dal(split pigeon pea): 1 cup
Tamarind: small lemon sized
Salt: as required
To roast and grind:
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Toor dal: 1 tsp
Rice: 1 tsp
Black pepper corns: 1 tsp
Fresh coconut pieces: 1 tbsp
Ghee: 1 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Curry leaves: A sprig
Method of preparation:
1. Take 1 cup of toor dal and rinse it once.
2. Take 2 cups of water and add to the toor dal.
3. Cut the drumsticks into 3 inches and rinse thoroughly in water.
4. Take a pressure cooker mix drumstick pieces and toor dal.
5. Steam for 5 whistles.
6. Allow the pressure to settle down on its own.
7. Soak small lemon sized tamarind in water.
8. Meanwhile take a small kadai put few drops of ghee and roast Chana dal first for a minute.
9. Next add toor dal and roast till it changes into light brown colour.
10. Now add rice and pepper corns. Roast them also.
11. Finally add chopped coconut pieces and a red chilli too. Fry for a minute and switch off the stove.
12. Transfer them onto a plate and allow to cool down.
13. Take a mixer grinder, transfer the ingredients into it and grind to a smooth fine paste. Keep it aside.
14. Transfer the cooked dal and drumsticks into a heavy bottomed vessel and mix thoroughly with ladle.
15. Pour the ground paste into this and bring it to boil.
16. Now add tamarind extract to the mixture and allow to boil for 5 more minutes. Switch off the stove.
17. In a small kadai pour ghee.
18. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
19. When mustard pops out add a pinch of hing and curry leaves. Switch off the stove and pour this mixture onto the drumstick pindimirium.
20. Now the piping hot drumstick pindimirium is ready and can be transferred to a serving bowl.
21. Serve the delicious drumstick pindimirium with hot steamed rice along with sago papadams.