Drumstick leaves super food for us with Power pack of nutrients. Drumstick leaves rich in iron, calcium, vitamin A and C and many more. Usually we will not get them in super markets or raithu bazaars. I got drumstick leaves from my mommy’s neighbourhood aunt’s home. Drumstick leaves can be used to prepare curries or soups or even rasam too. Here I present drumstick leaves curry/poriyal to be served with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Drumstick leaves: 3 small bunches(or one big bunch)
Garlic flakes: 7/8 nos.
Salt: as required
Oil: 1 tbsp
Urad dal(Black gram dal): 1 tsp
Chana dal(Bengal gram dal): 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch
Red chillies: 2 nos.
Turmeric: A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Separate the drumstick leaves from stems.
2. Rinse thoroughly under water so that all the dirt will go.
3. Keep aside.
4. Now take a small vessel and immerse the leaves in water and bring it to boil
5. Boil the drumstick leaves approximately for 15-20 minutes. If needed add water.
6. Cook the leaves on medium to high flame stirring occasionally.
7. Allow the water to evaporate completely.
8. Meanwhile take few garlic flakes and keep aside.
9. Take a kadai pour 1 tbsp of oil, put Urad dal, Chana dal, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard splutters add garlic flakes.
10. Fry them for a minute.
11. Now put the cooked drumstick leaves onto this tempering and mix well. Add required amount of salt.
12. Shallow fry the curry on low flame and add 1 tbsp of curry powder or your favorite masala powder.
13. Mix thoroughly the curry and fry for a minute.
14. Now the drumstick leaves curry is ready and can be served as an accompaniment with hot steamed rice or even with rasam/sambar.