Uppu pindi with mudi senagalu/rice rava Upma with Kala chana
Uppu pindi is an amazing traditional breakfast in Andhra Pradesh which can be served on any day. This is very tasty and healthy filling breakfast. The magical ingredient I’ve used to prepare this Upma is black chick peas(kala chana). In Telugu chick pea is called as mudi senagalu. Black chick peas are power packed with nutrients especially rich in protein for vegetarians. Soak the black chick peas overnight or eight hours before using them. Soaking helps for easy digestion and also cooking fastens. Here I present delicious comforting uppu pindi which can be served as a breakfast /evening snacks or dinner too(during special occasions n poojas). Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Rice rava: 2 cups
Water: 4 cups(1:2 ratio)
Mudi senagalu(black chick peas): 2 tbsp or one fistful
Salt: As required
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Asafoetida/hing: A pinch
Ghee: 1 tsp(optional)
Green chillies: 2 nos.
Curry leaves: a sprig
Method of preparation:
1. Take one fistful of black chick pea and soak them in 4 cups of water overnight or for 8 hours. I prepared this Uppu pindi for breakfast, so I soaked mudi senagalu the previous night.
2. Next day morning discard the water or the soaked water can be used for preparing Upma.
3. Take a Kadai or non stick pan pour 2 tbsp of oil. When it becomes hot, put the tempering ingredients mustard seeds, urad dal n chana dal.
4. Fry them till mustard seeds splutter. Add a pinch of asafoetida, sliced green chillies and curry leaves.
5. Add 4 cups of water and soaked chick peas. Bring it to boil.
6. When it starts boiling add required amount of salt. Mix well. Now slowly pour 2cups of rava and mix thoroughly without forming lumps.
7. Cook on low flame stirring occasionally. Keep the lid.
8. After few minutes remove the lid and put 1 tsp of ghee. Mix well and cook for 5 more minutes.
9. Now the Uppu pindi is ready and transfer it onto a serving plate.
10. Serve the delicious and authentic Uppu pindi with chutney powder or honey or even with any pickle.
1. In this recipe I’ve prepared Uppu pindi using black chick pea. Instead of them we can use yellow moong dal. No need of soaking the moong dal. Right away we can use moong dal and the Procedure is same as the mudi senagalu Uppu pindi. If you don’t want to add any lentils plain Uppu pindi also we can prepare.
2. I made using non stick Pan. But if you use normal Kadai we get nice crunchy pieces which would stuck to the Kadai. The crunchy pieces of Upma are very tasty.
3. Instead of cooking Upma we can pressure cook in a pressure cooker. Procedure is same as above till adding rava. Mix thoroughly and keep the mixture in a vessel after tempering and adding rava. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Once the pressure settles down transfer the Upma onto a plate and serve hot with pickle.