Vankaya Roti pachadi
Any day any time roti (mortar pestle) pachadi (chutney) with hot steamed rice and melted ghee is just awesome. Never get bored. Almost everyday I prepare Roti pachadi as my hubby n kids just love the pachadis. I’ve inherited Roti pachallu from my mom. She makes amazing chutneys. This pachadi/chutney is famous in Nellore Dist. and incredibly Nellore is popular for unique chutneys. I’ve prepared Vankaya pachadi using marble mortar pestle. The flavour is distinctive. The texture we can’t replicate in a mixer grinder. With minimal ingredients I’ve made this recipe. The brinjals I’ve used for making this pachadi got from my home town. They are soft and very tender. This is no onion no garlic recipe. So we can prepare this pachadi during Vrat or poojas. Here I present Vankaya pachadi which can be served with hot steamed rice topped with melted ghee. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Brinjals: 5/6 nos.(Preferably green brinjals)
Turmeric: A pinch
Salt: As required
Tamarind: small lemon sized
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Coriander seeds: 1 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing : A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Take farm fresh green brinjals and rinse them thoroughly with water.
2. Cut them along lengthwise into four slits without cutting the base.
3. Put the brinjals in turmeric and salt water. Turmeric helps to retain the colour of brinjals.
4. Heat a Kadai, pour oil and put tempering ingredients except red chillies and hing.
5. Fry them till they change into light brown colour and add red chillies, a pinch of hing too. Fry them for a minute and transfer them onto a plate. Allow them to cool down.
6. Now in the same kadai, pour little oil and put cut brinjals. Add pinch of salt and turmeric. If we don’t add salt brinjals will get bitter taste.
7. Fry the brinjals on low flame stirring occasionally.
8. After two minutes flip the brinjals and close the kadai with lid.
9. Meanwhile soak small lemon sized tamarind in water. Rinse it once with water before soaking in water.
10. Fry the brinjals till they are cooked and become soft.
11. Switch off the flame and allow the brinjals to cool down.
12. Take a mortar pestle, put the half of the fried tempering ingredients. Add required amount of salt also.
13. Crush the tempering using pestle till you get coarser texture.
14. Now add soaked tamarind to the crushed tempering.
15. Crush tamarind along with coarsely crushed tempering.
13. While using mortar pestle on kitchen platform, keep folded hand napkin beneath the mortar so that we can control the noise and it’s safe too when giving blows.
14. Now add fried brinjals to the coarse mixture.
15. Crush the brinjals using pestle to get right texture and consistency.
16. Now add the remaining tempering to the pachadi.
17. The brinjal/vankaya pachadi is ready and transfer the pachadi onto a serving bowl. Serve the vankaya pachadi with hot steamed rice.
1. The shelf life of this pachadi is very short. You have to consume on the same day. If refrigerated can be used for 1/2 days. But for best results consume it on the same day.
2. Here in this recipe I’ve used only red chillies. Instead of that you can use green chillies or both.