Masala rice with leftover rice
Masala rice is always prepared with left over rice. This is a staple breakfast for adults. Whenever large quantity of cooked rice is left I prepare masala rice. We can make masala rice with fresh cooked rice but It will not taste as good as leftover rice. Sometimes when We want to eat masala rice I cook extra rice for dinner and next day morning I use that rice to prepare breakfast. We can prepare very easily in 10 minutes. Here I present simple and spicy masala rice to serve as a breakfast. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Leftover rice: 2 cups
Big Onion: 1 no.
Green chillies: 3 nos.
Garlic flakes: 7/8 nos.
Curry leaves: A sprig
Black pepper corns: 7/8 nos.
Cashew nuts: few
Oil: 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Turmeric: 1/4 tsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 2 cups of leftover rice and keep in a bowl.
2. Now chop the onion into pieces. Slit the green chillies and cut them into halves. Take curry leaves and few garlic flakes.
3. Heat kadai, pour oil put mustard, chana dal and urad dal.
4. When mustard pops out add whole black pepper, cashews and a pinch of hing. Fry for few seconds.
5. Now add chopped onion, green chillies and curry leaves. Add pinch of salt and turmeric too.
6. Fry them on medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
7. Now add the leftover rice and mix thoroughly. Stir continuously for 2 minutes till rice mixes well with spices.
8. Switch off the stove and transfer the masala rice onto a serving bowl.
9. Serve masala rice hot with plain curd or raita.
To prepare masala rice I’ve added black pepper and garlic because I wanted simple and spicy breakfast. If you want, garam masala powder also can be added. But I prefer not to add any extra masalas for this rice.