South Indian homes and Sambar can never be separated. Whether it can be a simple meal or festive thali sambar is a must. We have so many variations in sambar. Today I’ve prepared sambar using drumsticks with home made sambar powder. It’s a simple dish to prepare, consisting mainly of pigeon pea(toor dal) and drumsticks. The drumsticks in the sambar infuse flavour to the liquid.The drumstick sambar is very tasty especially when served with hot steamed rice and melted ghee. This drumstick sambar can be served with idly, vada or dosa. Here I present drumstick sambar which is served with steamed rice, papad and raw plantain stir fry(aratikay kura/vazhakai poriyal). Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Toor dal(Pigeon pea): 1 1/2 cup
Drumsticks: 2 nos.
Onion: 1 big
Tomatoes: 2 nos.
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few
Tamarind: Big lemon size
Sambar powder: 3 tsp
Turmeric: A pinch
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Fresh coconut: 1 tbsp
Method of preparation:
1. Take a small pressure cooker, Rinse well 1 1/2 cups of toor dal (Kandi pappu) and keep 3 cups of water. Add a pinch of turmeric into it.
2. Pressure cook the toor dal for 15 minutes or keep on low flame and allow to get 2 whistles.
3. Meanwhile chop drumstick into 3 inch pieces. Chop the onion, green chillies and tomato into pieces.
4. Take a heavy bottom vessel, put chopped drumstick and onion pieces. Pour required amount of water.
5. Soak big lemon sized tamarind in water.
6. Cook on medium to high flame till drumstick and onions are 90 percent cooked.
7. Now add chopped tomatoes and green chillies.
8. Now add tamarind extract, sambar powder, curry leaves and chopped coriander. Bring them to boil. Add required amount of salt too. Add tsp of red chilli powder.
9. Now open the lid of the pressure cooker and mash the dal with ladle.
10. Now add the cooked toor dal to the veggies and bring the mixture to boil thoroughly.
11. Heat a small Kadai pour tbsp of oil, put mustard seeds. When they splutter add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and a pinch of hing. Add One table spoon of fresh grated coconut too. Fry for a minute and pour the tempering onto the sambar.
12. Mix thoroughly the tempering, boil for a minute and switch off the stove.
13. Transfer the sambar onto a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
14. Now delicious drumstick sambar is ready to serve hot with steamed rice and papad.
1. I’ve used home made sambar powder. You can use home made or store- brought powder. I’ve posted sambar powder in my earlier recipes. Please check the recipe for home made sambar powder.
2. Papads I’ve roasted on gas stove as an accompaniment.