Mixed vegetable sambar
This is similar to the drumstick sambar except veggies. I’ve prepared mixed vegetable sambar with the readily available vegetables at home. Usually I prepare mixed vegetable sambar with drumstick, bottle gourd,onion, tomato and carrot. Bottle gourd can be replaced with Ash gourd. It Completely depends on individual choice of veggies. But drumstick is a must. It enhances the flavour of the sambar. I’ve made sambar for potluck. So I’ve prepared huge quantity of sambar. One can adjust the quantities of ingredients according to the individual requirement. The ingredients I’ve mentioned here and the sambar will be sufficient for 15/20 people approximately. Here I present flavoursome mixed vegetable sambar which can be served hot with steamed rice, Roti or even with any South Indian Tiffins. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Toor Dal: 3 cups
Drumsticks: 2 nos.
Bottle gourd: few chopped pieces
Onion: 2 nos.
Tomatoes: 3 nos.
Carrot: 2 nos.
Tamarind pulp: 3 tbsp or
(soak one fistful of tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes and extract the pulp).
Salt: As required
Oil: 2 tbsp
Ghee: 1 tsp(My secret ingredient, optional)
Mustard: 2 tsp
Cumin: 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: half tsp
Grated fresh coconut: 2 tbsp
Method of preparation:
1. Take 3 cups of toor dal and pressure cook it for 3 whistles on low flame. Once the pressure settles open the lid and mash the dal.
2. Meanwhile chop all the vegetables. Take a heavy bottomed vessel and boil the veggies or Steam them using small pressure cooker for one whistle on low flame.
3. Soak tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes and extract the pulp.
4. Now add the mashed dal to the vegetables. Add tamarind extract too,Bring it to boil. Add curry leaves, coriander leaves, sambar powder and required amount of salt too.
5. Boil the sambar for 10 minutes. Adjust the quantity of water to get correct consistency. Add a pinch of turmeric.
6. Once it starts boiling add red chilli powder and further boil for 2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
7. Take a small Kadai and heat the Kadai, pour two table spoons of oil. When it becomes hot add mustard seeds. When mustard splutter add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and a pinch of hing too. Pour the tempering onto the sambar.
8. In the same Kadai, roast the grated fresh coconut till it changes its colour. Add roasted coconut to the sambar. Mix thoroughly.
9. Now the delicious mixed vegetable sambar is ready and can be served hot with rice,idly, dosa or Pongal.
1. Addition of vegetables always individual choice. You can add your choice of vegetables. Usually I make sambar with Radish,Ash gourd,chow chow(Bangalore Brinjal),normal brinjal,ladyfinger. When using ladyfingers just sauté them in oil for 5 minutes and add to the sambar to avoid stickiness during cooking.
2. I’ve used grated fresh coconut, instead you can use dry copra powder. Just roast copra powder and add to the sambar. Both give excellent taste to the sambar.