Aa–kakara kaya kura
Aa-kakara kaya is called spiny gourd or teasle gourd in English, Aa-kakara in Telugu. This vegetable is used in all parts of India. Aa-kakara Kayalu are abundant during monsoons. They look like small bitter gourd but not bitter in taste.Aakakara kaya has subtle flavour and seeds are present inside. We can prepare simple fry, masala curry or pulusu with the vegetable. Here I present simple Aa-kakara kaya kura which can be served with hot steamed rice or Roti. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Aa-kakara Kayalu : 500 gms
Onion: 1 no. Big
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Turmeric: A pinch
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: few
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse thoroughly teasle gourd(Aa-kakara kaya) and chop them into rings. Discard the seeds. Keep aside.
2. Now chop the big onion into thin pieces.
3. Take a Kadai or non stick pan, pour half tbsp of oil. Fry the chopped onion pieces on low to medium flame. Add a pinch of salt and turmeric. Add hing too.
4. Once the onion turn into translucent, transfer them onto a plate.
5. Now in the same Kadai, pour one tbsp of oil and fry the chopped teasle gourd rings.
6. Fry them on low flame stirring occasionally.
7. Keep the lid for 2 minutes and give it a stir.
8. Once they are done add fried onions.
9. Mix well and add chopped curry leaves, coriander leaves. Now add cumin powder and coriander powder too. Mix thoroughly.
10. Now add red chilli powder and fry them for 2 more minutes.
11. Now tasty and spicy Aa-kakara kaya kura is ready and transfer the curry into a serving bowl.
12. Serve Aa-kakara kaya kura hot with steamed rice along with any chutney and dal.