Rajma Chawal, a great and comforting combo from Punjab Cuisine. It is pretty much popular in all parts of North India. Rajma(Red kidney beans) is rich in protein content and chawal((Steamed rice)with full of carbohydrates make a perfect meal. I’ve prepared rajma masala with simple ingredients. The preparation I have adapted is so easy that even beginners can make it without much effort. Rajma Chawal can be served either for a lunch or dinner. A very good filling food which can be packed for lunchbox too. Here I present Rajma Masala curry which can be served with Chawal as an accompaniment. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Ingredients to prepare Rajma masala
Rajma: 1 small cup
Onion: 2 nos.
Tomatoes: 3 nos.
Ginger: 1 inch piece
Garlic: 5/6 flakes
Green chilli: 1 no.
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala: 1 /2 tsp
Red chilli powder: 3/4 tsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Ghee: 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves: For garnishing
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse thoroughly small cup of rajma and soak in clean water for 8-9 hours or overnight.
2. After soaking for 9 hours, rinse well and discard the water and keep fresh water into it.
3. Rinse thoroughly with water onions, tomatoes and chop them. Rinse and peel the skin of ginger. Chop the ginger into tiny pieces.
4. Now take a mixer grinder, put chopped onion, tomato, ginger, green chilli and garlic flakes.
5. Grind them into a smooth puree.
6. Heat small pressure cooker(3 litre capacity), pour oil and add cumin seeds.
7. When they crackle add ground puree into it. Add one cup of water also.
8. Mix thoroughly and stir the puree at frequent intervals.
9. Fry the puree till it comes to a thick paste or oil separates.
10. Now add the rajma with water into it. Add cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and required amount of salt and chilli powder. If required add some amount of water into it.
11. Keep the lid and allow the pressure cooker to get 15 whistles on high flame or 4 whistles on low flame. Follow either of it.
12. When the pressure settles down open the lid and check the rajma whether it’s done properly. If not cooked well cook again. Rajma should be done properly, otherwise it’s hard to digest.
13. Mix well and add required amount of salt. Check the consistency and cook for 2 minutes if needed.
14. Add chopped coriander leaves, ghee and mix well. Instead of ghee butter also can be used. I prefer to add ghee.
15. Now the delicious rajma masala is ready to serve hot.
Basmati rice: 1 1/2 cup
Ghee: half tea spoon
Saffron strands: 2/3 nos.
Water: 3 cups
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse basmati rice thoroughly under running water and soak in 3 cups of water for 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, add ghee and steam the basmati rice in pressure cooker for 5 whistles keeping on high flame. Ghee gives nice fragrance to the rice and avoids sticking.
3. Meanwhile prepare the rajma masala.
4. When the pressure settles down open the lid and check the fluffiness of the rice.
5. Transfer the hot steamed basmati rice onto a serving plate and garnish with saffron strands.
6. Now the Rajma masala with Chawal is ready to serve hot.