Kandi pachadi/toor dal chutney
Kandi pachadi is another authentic recipe from Andhra Cuisine. Kandi pappu(Telugu) is toor dal(Red gram). Kandi pachadi is made with toor dal and spices. The kandi pachadi goes well with hot steamed rice and melted ghee. Kandi pachadi and vullipaya pulusu(Onion stew) is a awesome combination. Just toor dal and red chillies with salt are good enough to prepare the recipe. Very healthy and tasty recipe to enjoy. My kids also love to have this pachadi. My mom used to make this chutney in a stone mortar pestle. The shelf life of this chutney is one day, if refrigerated can be used for two days. Here I present very tasty and traditional Kandi pachadi to serve with hot steamed rice and a dollop of ghee. Njoy Cooking,Serving n Savoring!
Kandi pappu(Red gram): Half cup
Red chillies: 6/7 nos.
(Kids friendly, more chillies can be added for extra spice)
Salt: As required
Ghee: few drops for roasting red gram.
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Black gram(urad dal): 1 tsp
Garlic flakes: 5/6 nos.
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take half cup of toor dal, heat kadai and put the toor dal in it. Drizzle few drops of ghee.
2. Roast the toor dal till it changes into light brown colour. Now add red chillies to the toor dal and fry for two minutes or till nice aroma comes and Changes into brown colour. Here I’ve not added cumin seeds. If you like, along with red chillies one tsp of cumin seeds can be added. I have added them for the tempering.
3. Now transfer the roasted toor dal with red chillies onto a plate. Allow them to come down to normal temperature.
4. Now take a mixer grinder, put the roasted toor dal with red chillies into it and add required amount of salt. Usually I prefer to add crystal salt for dals, chutneys and liquids(Except fries).
5. First grind to a coarse powder.
6. Then slowly add water(approximately 3/4 th cup) to get the desired chutney consistency. Adjust the quantity according to your taste buds.
7. Now transfer the toor dal chutney onto a serving bowl.
8. Take small kadai for tempering. Heat kadai pour oil, add mustard, Urad dal and cumin seeds. When mustard splutters add garlic flakes, fry for a minute and a pinch of hing into it. Mix well.
9. Pour the tempering onto the toor dal chutney.
10. Now the mildly spiced kandi pachadi is ready to serve with hot steamed rice and melted ghee.
11. Mix thoroughly one tsp of Kandi pachadi(toor dal chutney) with one serving spoon of steamed rice along with ghee.
12. Take a small bowl of onion stew(Vullipaya pulusu) and keep aside.Make a small ball out of mixed kandi pachadi rice, dip in the onion pulusu and eat it. The combination is extraordinary. Enjoy the pachadi with pulusu and raw plantain chips.
* My next post would be Vullipaya pulusu.