Vullipaya pulusu is simple and superb recipe for the rainy season. It doesn’t require any vegetable. Within 20 minutes we can prepare the recipe. I’ve used pearl onions to prepare the recipe. With Normal big onions also we can make the recipe. 2 big onions are enough to prepare the pulusu. The onion pulusu is so delicious with its spiciness and tanginess. Here I present easy vullipaya pulusu which goes well steamed rice, dosa or chapathi. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Pearl onions(Small onions): 20-25 nos. or 100 gms
Garlic flakes: 7/8 nos.
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric: half tsp
Tamarind: lemon size
Salt: As required
Water: as required(approximately 3 cups)
Rice flour: 1 1/2 tbsp
Jaggery powder: 1 tsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: half tsp
Hing: A pinch
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few
Method of preparation:
1. Take pearl onions or shallots, peel the skin and rinse well.
4. Now add garlic flakes, curry leaves and finely chopped coriander leaves.Fry the onions for 2 minutes and add red chilli powder, coriander powder.
5. Meanwhile soak tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes.
6. Now add two cups of water to the fried onions and bring it to boil.
7. Now extract the tamarind pulp, take one more cup of water and add to the boiling mixture.
8. Take rice flour in a small cup mix with few tbsp of water and add to the mixture. Mix thoroughly and add required amount of salt. Add jaggery powder also.
9. Boil the pulusu for 5 more minutes after adding rice flour water. I have prepared the pulusu and the kandi pachadi also on the same day. After transferring the pachadi onto a serving bowl, in the same mixer grinder I’ve added few tbsp of water and that cleared water again added to the onion pulusu. This gives additional flavour and taste to the pulusu.
10. Transfer the pulusu into a serving bowl. Now the tasty vullipaya pulusu is ready to serve with hot pulka.
The onion pulusu is very good accompaniment for hot steamed rice, dosa, roti and also for kandi pachadi rice.(Posted in my earlier recipe. Please check for detailed procedure).