Karivepaku is Telugu name of curry leaf. Curry leaves are extensively used in the preparation of Indian curries. They are native to India and Sri Lanka. Curry leaves impart nice flavour when used for tempering. Curry leaves have amazing health benefits. They are natural medicine for hair loss, good for anaemia. Curry leaves powder is very good for lactating mothers. The powder is very tasty especially when served with hot steamed rice topped with melted ghee. Curry leaves powder is used to prepare curry leaves rice also. Here I present spicy curry leaves powder to serve with hot Upma to enjoy the breakfast too. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Curry leaves: big bunch or 1 cup
Chana dal: 2 tbsp
Urad dal: 1 1/2 tbsp
Coriander seeds: 2 tbsp
Garlic flakes: 10-15 nos.
Sesame seeds: 1-1 1/2 tbsp.(Optional)
Red chillies: 15-20 nos.
Salt: As required.
Oil: few drops.
Method of preparation:
1. Take one cup of curry leaves or one big bunch of them. Remove the leaves from the stem and rinse thoroughly. Keep them in a basket containing holes and allow to air dry for some time. There should not be any moisture present in the leaves. The curry leaves I have used for making powder are from my home town. They are very fresh with nice aroma.
2. Now heat kadai, put Chana dal, Urad dal and roast them in just 3/4 drops of oil on low flame.
3. When they slightly turns into light brown colour add coriander seeds into it.
4. Roast them till they change into golden brown colour and transfer them onto a plate.
5. Now roast garlic flakes and red chillies and transfer them onto the same plate.
6. In the same kadai, roast sesame seeds for a minute or till they change colour.
7. Now roast the curry leaves for 2 minutes and transfer onto a plate.
8. Allow the roasted ingredients to come down to normal temperature.
9. Take a mixer grinder and grind to a coarse powder adding required amount of salt too.
10. Transfer the powder into an airtight container. Leave the powder for two minutes because mixer grinder generates some heat during grinding. Now keep the lid tightly and store the powder. The shelf life of powder is one month.
11. Now the curry leaves powder is ready and can be served as an accompaniment with steamed rice, idly, dosa or even with Upma.