Chama dumpa vepudu
Chama dumpa is known as colocasia or taro root in English, Arbi in Hindi, Seppankizhangu in Tamil. This is very healthy root vegetable with high content of carbohydrates. It contains dietary fibre which helps digestion. It also contains iron and copper which are useful to treat anaemia. This vegetable is used to make crispy fry, pulusu or curry. Here I present crispy chama dumpa vepudu which can be served along with hot steamed rice topped with melted ghee. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Chama dumpa/colocasia: 250 gms.
Besan flour: 2 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Salt: As required
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Keep the colocasia in water for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly for 2 or 3 times to remove the dirt.
2. Roughly chop them into pieces.
3. Take a pressure cooker, keep the chopped colocasia onto a plate and steam them along with rice for 5/6 whistles.
4. Allow the pressure to settle down and take the colocasia outside. Remove the skin of them, further chop them into small pieces and keep aside.
5. Now heat kadai, pour oil. When it becomes hot put all the colocasia pieces into it.
6. Fry them on low flame stirring occasionally.
7. Add required amount of salt and turmeric. Mix well and roast them for 5 minutes. A crispy brown layer forms on them.
8. Now add besan flour and roast till raw smell goes away.
9. Lastly add red chilli powder and mix well. Roast them for two minutes.
10. Now the spicy, crispy n tasty chama dumpa vepudu is ready to serve hot with steamed rice.