Gunta ponganalu/Kuzhi paniyaram
Gunta ponganalu is another variation with idly batter. They are prepared in a special pan called Ponganalu/paniyaram pan. They are very delicious. Tempering is added to the idly batter along with finely chopped onions, coconut pieces, chopped ginger and curry leaves. Here I present delicious breakfast gunta ponganalu which are served with coconut chutney. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: South Indian(Andhra,Telangana,Tamilnadu n Karnataka)
Idly batter: 2 cups
Onion: 1 no.(Medium)
Chopped fresh Coconut pieces: 1 tbsp(Optional)
Ginger: 1 inch piece(Finely chopped)
Curry leaves: A sprig
Salt: As required
Green chillies: 1/2 nos.
Oil: As required for frying ponganalu.
Oil: 1 tbsp
Chana dal: 1 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Curry leaves: Few.
Method of preparation:
1. Heat small kadai, pour oil and do the tempering with tempering ingredients. Keep the tempering in a vessel. If you like black pepper corns can be added to the tempering.
2. Take 2 cups of idly batter and pour into the vessel which had tempering. Now add chopped onions, chopped ginger, coconut pieces chopped green chillies and curry leaves. Mix thoroughly.
3. Heat ponganalu/paniyaram pan,
Drizzle some oil.
4. Now fill the ponganalu pan with batter.
5. Keep the lid and fry them on low flame for 5 minutes.
6. Now carefully flip the ponganalu other side with spoon or wooden stick and fry them for 5 more minutes.
7. When they are done on both sides, transfer them onto a plate.
8. Serve the hot gunta ponganalu/kuzhi paniyaram with coconut chutney as a breakfast.