Onion pakodas or pakoras are commonly prepared evening snacks. They are famous street food of India. If onions and besan flour are readily available we can prepare the pakodas in just 20 minutes. Theses pakodas/pakoras are served as an evening snacks with a cup of tea or coffee. Here I present crunchy onion pakodas to relish. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Onions: 3 nos. big
Besan flour: 3/4 th cup(approximately)
Rice flour: 2 tbsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few
Salt: As required
Oil: For deep frying
Ginger: 1 inch piece
Garlic: 5/6 nos.
Water: required amount for binding.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 3 big onions, rinse them well. Chop them into thin slices. Keep aside. Chop the ginger and garlic into tiny pieces. Roughly chop curry leaves and coriander leaves. Keep all of them in a bowl.
2. Now take besan flour, rice flour, a pinch of baking soda, red chilli powder and required amount of salt to the chopped onion mixture. Mix thoroughly all the dry ingredients.
3. Now slowly add required amount of water(approximately half cup) for binding. Mix well all the ingredients to form a dough like consistency. The pakoda batter/dough should be hard.
4. Heat kadai and pour oil for deep frying.
5. When the oil becomes hot, make pakoda from the prepared dough and carefully drop them into the oil.
7. Keeping on medium flame fry the pakodas till they are fried and get nice brown colour. Adjust the flame if required.
8. Transfer them using perforated spoon onto a plate which contains kitchen paper towel to absorb excess oil.
9. Likewise fry all the pakodas in batches.
10. Transfer the pakodas onto a serving plate.
11. Now the crunchy pakodas are ready to serve hot with a cup of tea or filter coffee.
12. Serve them plain or with tomato ketchup. I prefer to have them plain.
If you want additional flavour to the pakodas add fresh mint leaves or carom seeds to the batter and fry them.