Baby potato fry
Baby potato fry is awesome and very handy recipe if unexpected guests arrive. If potatoes are readily available at home within 20-25 minutes time we can prepare the recipe. Steam the potatoes, sauté them with chopped onions adding spices. This recipe is definitely a super hit. Baby potato fry can be served as a starter too. Here I present hot and spicy baby potato fry which can be served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Baby potatoes: 300 gms
Onion: 1 no.
Curry leaves: Few
Red chilli powder: 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric: A pinch
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp.
Salt: As required
Hing: A pinch
Besan flour: 1 1/2 tsp.
Lemon wedges: 1 or 2 (Optional).
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse thoroughly baby potatoes with water. Steam them(Keep on a plate) in a pressure cooker for 4 whistles on high flame. Once the pressure settles, peel the skin and keep aside.
2. Now heat kadai, pour oil. When it becomes hot, add mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutters add a pinch of hing into it.
3. Now add chopped onions, curry leaves and a pinch of turmeric too. Mix well and fry till the onions turn into translucent.
4. Add steamed baby potatoes and mix carefully. Otherwise baby potatoes turn mushy. Fry the baby potatoes on low flame till they turn into nice colour.
5. Now add red chilli powder and required amount of salt. Mix well and fry for two minutes.
6. Now add 1 1/2 tsp of besan flour and sauté for two more minutes, so that it coats well and gives nice texture to the fry.
7. Now the baby potato fry is ready which is crispy from outside and soft inside.
8. Serve the hot n spicy baby potato fry along with lemon wedges. If you are using as a starter just drizzle few drops of lemon juice and have it. This tastes amazing.
When you add baby potatoes to the onions, just mix once and leave them for 2 minutes without stirring. This is to avoid potatoes sticking to the kadai, also nice golden layer forms on the potatoes. This is the secret to avoiding mushy potatoes. If you like, garam masala can be added.