Palak paneer curry
Palak paneer curry is a wonderful and healthy recipe for vegetarians.
I’ve prepared the curry so simple with minimal ingredients even the beginners can make it very easily. I’ve not blanched the recipe to retain its nutrients. The cooked spinach is puréed mixed with spices and paneer cubes. I’ve prepared the curry using home made fresh paneer. Here I present yummilicious Palak paneer curry which can be served with Roti, naan, chapathi or even with jeera rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Spinach leaves: 6 small bunches.
Paneer(Cottage cheese): 100-150 gms.
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Onion: 1 big no.
Tomatoes: 2 nos.
Bay leaf: 2/3 nos.
Cinnamon stick: 2 nos.
Green chillies: 1 no.
Butter: 2 tsp
Oil: 2 tbsp
Salt: As required
Garam masala: 1 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Kasuri methi: 1/4 th tsp (Optional)
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp.
Fresh cream: 1 tsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 6 bunches of spinach leaves, clean and rinse them well with water.
2. Boil them in enough water and allow it to cool down.
3. Heat a Pan, pour oil and butter together. Put bay leaf and cinnamon sticks first. Fry for a minute and add chopped onion pieces and fry till onion turns into translucent. Add ginger garlic paste also and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Now add finely chopped tomatoes and mix well. Fry till raw smell goes away. Add green chilli also.
5. Meanwhile grind boiled spinach into puree. Keep aside.
6. Before adding spinach puree add garam masala, coriander powder and cumin powder too. Now add the puréed spinach into the sautéed onions and tomatoes mixture.
7. Add half cup of water into it and Mix well. Bring it to boil.
8. When it starts boiling add required amount of salt and red chilli powder.
9. Now add paneer cubes and boil the mixture for 2 more minutes. Switch off the flame. Don’t over cook the paneer, because it becomes harder and rubbery. If you are using kasuri methi add now.
10. Now the colourful and flavourful Palak paneer curry(Spinach cottage cheese gravy) is ready to serve.
11. Serve the Palak paneer curry with jeera rice. Garnish with butter or cream.
To prepare paneer I’ve used 750 ml of buffalo milk. Boiled the milk and few drops of lemon juice is added to curdle the milk. It is then filtered and the remaining solid is paneer or cottage cheese.
Milk: 750 ml
Lemon juice: Few drops.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 750 ml of milk and boil it.
2. Now add few drops of lemon juice when the milk is hot and leave it for 2 minutes.
3. In no time the milk starts curdling. If it’s not properly done add few more drops of lemon juice. The milk should curdle completely.
4. Strain the curdled milk using muslin cloth or kitchen towel and collect the liquid.
5. After draining completely keep weight on it.
6. Rest it for half hour to get paneer.
7. The paneer is cut into cubes and can be used fresh. Store the paneer in refrigerator and can be used within 10 days. To get 200 gms of paneer approximately we need to boil 1 litre of milk. Lemon juice can be replaced with half cup curd to curdle the milk.
8. The strained water(Whey) can be used to prepare dough for chapathi if you like. It has got protein and many more.