Shallot sambar is prepared with shallots/pearl(Small) onions. This is simple to prepare and so delicious. I’ve prepared sambar with just shallots and tomatoes. If shallots are not readily available, we can replace them with big onions. To prepare the sambar I’ve used toor dal(Pigeon Peas), instead we can use moong dal also. Here I present humble and comforting shallot sambar which can be served with idly, dosa, ven pongal or hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: South Indian
Toor dal/kandi pappu: 1 cup
Shallots: 15-20 nos.
Tomato: 1 no. (Big)
Tamarind: Lemon size
Salt: As required
Turmeric: A pinch
Red chilli powder: Half tsp
Curry Leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few.
Sambar powder: 2 tsp
Sugar or jaggery powder: Half tsp(Optional)
Oil: 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds: 1/4 th tsp
Hing: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Rinse thoroughly the shallots, peel the skin of them and keep aside.
2. Take one cup of toor dal.
3. Rinse well and pour two and half cups of water. Add a pinch of turmeric too.
4. Pressure cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker for 5 whistles on high flame. Mash the cooked dal with ladle and keep aside.
5. Meanwhile heat kadai and pour oil. Put mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of hing into it.
6. Now add peeled shallots and mix well. Add a pinch of salt too.
7. Fry the shallots on low flame for three minutes mixing at regular intervals.
8. Soak tamarind in enough water for 20 minutes.
9. Now add chopped tomato to the fried shallots.
10. Mix well and fry them on low flame till they are done completely. Add curry leaves too.
11. Extract the tamarind pulp from soaked tamarind and add this to the onion tomato mixture. Add two tea spoons of sambar powder.
12. Mix well and add chopped coriander leaves, red chilli powder. Bring it to boil.
13. When it starts boiling, add cooked and mashed toor dal to the fried onion tomato mixture. Add required amount of salt too.
14. Boil the sambar for 5 minutes. Add half cup of water to get desired consistency. Add a pinch of sugar also. Addition of sugar enhances the taste.
15. Now the flavourful shallots sambar is ready to serve.
16. Transfer the sambar into a serving bowl and serve hot.
17. Serve the sambar with button idly or regular idly along with melted ghee and enjoy the flavours.