Instant dosakaya pickle
The pickle is prepared with dosakaya(Curry cucumber/Andhra cucumber). If you’re bored with regular pickles, definitely this is a must try. This is quite refreshing, fresh and instant pickle that can be prepared in no time. It doesn’t require any cooking. The pickle is seasoned with spice powders and tempered with mustard and urad dal. The instant dosakaya pickle goes well with steamed rice or even with curd rice. Here I present spicy instant dosakaya pickle which can be served with hot steamed rice and melted ghee to relish. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cucumber: half(If it’s big) or one no.
Red chilli powder: 3 tsp
Salt: As required
Sesame/gingelly oil: 3 tbsp
Mustard seeds: three fourth tsp
Fenugreek seeds: 5/6 nos.
Turmeric: Generous pinch.
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Black gram: Half tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take cucumber, rinse well with water. Peel the skin and chop the cucumber into tiny pieces. I’ve used half cucumber.
2. Transfer them into a bowl and add red chilli powder. I’ve used three mango(Brand)red chilli powder. This is moderately spicy with vibrant red colour. If you are using other chilli powders take only 2 1/2 tsp.
3. Take few fenugreek seeds and roast them for one minute.
4. Take a mixer grinder or mortar pestle. Put roasted fenugreek, mustard and required amount of salt and turmeric.
5. Pound them together to get a fine powder.
6. Put this powder into the mixture of chopped cucumber and red chilli powder. Mix thoroughly.
7. Take 3 tbsp of gingelly oil and pour onto the mixture. Mix well with a spoon.
7. Heat kadai pour one tbsp of oil. When the oil becomes hot, add mustard and urad dal. When mustard seeds splutter add a pinch of asafoetida into it.
8. Switch off the stove and allow the tempering to cool down completely.
9. Pour the tempering onto the pickle and mix thoroughly.
10. Let the pickle set for two hours so that all the spices mix well and imparts nice flavour.
11. Now the spicy instant dosakaya pickle is ready to serve. Transfer the pachadi into an airtight container and can be served with hot steamed rice and melted ghee. The shelf life of the pickle is one week if refrigerated.