Beetroot is a very healthy vegetable. Today I’ve prepared rasam with beetroot. My kids love this rasam, they call it as “Pink Rasam”. The rasam is very easy to make and tasty to eat. The preparation of beetroot rasam is just like any other rasam. I have grated beetroot and made the rasam. Instead you can chop them into pieces and can prepare it. The rasam is so delicious with its earthy flavour and dazzling colour. Here I present incredible beetroot rasam which can be served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice or can be consumed as a thin soup. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: South Indian
Beetroot: 1 no. (Small)
Rasam powder: 2 tsp
Salt: As required
Tamarind: Lemon size
Water: 3 cups
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Red chilli: 1 no.
Garlic flakes: 5/6 nos.
Hing: A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Take one small beetroot, rinse well with water. Peel the skin and grate the beetroot using a grater.
2. Heat kadai, pour oil. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of hing into it.
3. Add broken red chilli and chopped garlic. Fry for a minute.
4. Now add grated beetroot and sauté till the raw smell goes away.
5. Meanwhile soak tamarind for 15 minutes and extract tamarind water.
6. Now add 3 cups of water to the sautéed beetroot. Bring it to boil.
7. Add tamarind water too. Also add required amount of salt.
8. Now add chopped coriander leaves and curry leaves.
9. Add two tsp of rasam powder and boil for five more minutes.
10. Switch off the flame and transfer into a serving bowl.
11. Now the piping hot beetroot rasam is ready to serve. Enjoy beetroot rasam with hot steamed rice this winter.