Beerakaya pottu pachadi
When it comes to vegetables nothing goes waste. Every part of the vegetable can turn into a beautiful and yummy dish. One such dish is ridge gourd skin chutney/Beerakaya pottu pachadi. This is a traditional Andhra chutney which is served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice along with other delicacies. The chutney is prepared with ridge gourd skin and ridge gourd too. This is very healthy recipe with full of fibre content. The chutney is one of the best methods to include the skin of ridge gourd. Here I present Beerakaya pottu pachadi which is served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice topped with a dollop of ghee. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Ridge gourd: 2 nos. (Medium size)
Red chillies: 10 nos.
Green chillies: 3 nos.
Black gram/urad dal: 1 teaspoon
Coriander seeds: 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds: Half teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds: 10 nos..
Whole black peppercorns: 7/8 nos.
Salt: As required
Oil: 1 teaspoon
Split black gram with husk: 1 teaspoon
Mustard: 1 teaspoon
Cumin: 1 teaspoon
Oil: 1 tbsp
Asafoetida: A pinch
Method of preparation:
1. Take two ridge gourds, rinse them well with water.
2. Peel the skin of them. Also chop the ridge gourds into small pieces. Keep aside.
3. Heat kadai pour one teaspoon of oil. Now put Urad dal, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin and few black peppercorns.
4. Fry them on low flame till they change into light brown colour. Now add red chillies and green chillies into the kadai. Slightly slit the green chillies before adding them. Otherwise green chillies pop up.
5. Transfer them onto a plate.
6. Now in the same kadai, put the ridge gourd pieces and skin.
7. Fry them on low flame stirring at regular intervals.
8. Switch off the flame when they become soft and allow to cool down.
9. Meanwhile soak lemon sized tamarind.
10. Now take a mixer grinder put the red and green chillies mixture. Add required amount of salt.
11. Grind the mixture into a smooth and fine texture.
12. Now add soaked tamarind and grind once again.
13. Now add sautéed rigde gourd and skin. Grind to get a coarse texture. Add tamarind water for grinding.
14. Mix thoroughly with a spoon and transfer the chutney into a serving bowl.
15. Heat kadai, pour oil for tempering.
16. Put split black gram with husk, mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
17. When mustard seeds splutter add a pinch of hing into it and switch off the stove.
18. Pour the tempering onto this chutney. Mix thoroughly.
19. Now the beerakaya pottu pachadi is ready to serve.
20. Serve the beerakaya pottu pachadi with hot steamed rice, Thotakura Allam Karam(Amaranth Leaves ginger curry)and sambar.
I’ve prepared the chutney with ridge gourd skin along with ridge gourd, instead of that you can make chutney with ridge gourd skin alone. Both the recipes are very tasty.