Spinach is powerhouse of nutrients. Spinach soup is a superfood with tons of health benefits. This recipe is the best way to consume spinach. The spinach soup is prepared with very minimal ingredients. Spinach leaves are sautéed in ghee along with onion, garlic and bay leaf. The sautéed mixture is ground to a puree. Ground spinach puree is boiled with milk. Seasoning is done with salt and pepper. Here I present very healthy and flavourful spinach soup to relish this winter. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Spinach/palak: 3 bunches
Milk: 3/4 th cup or 125 ml(Approximately)
Onion: 1 no. Small
Garlic flakes: 5/6 nos.
Bay leaf: 1 no.
Ghee: 1 tsp
Whole black peppercorns: 2 nos.
Salt: A pinch
Sugar: A pinch.
Cumin powder: A pinch
Black pepper powder: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 3 bunches of spinach, separate leaves from the stem.
2. Rinse well with water couple times, drain them and keep aside.
3. Heat a pan, pour one teaspoon of ghee into it. Add bay leaf, finely chopped onion and garlic flakes.
4. Sauté them for two minutes on low flame.
5. Now add spinach leaves and sauté them on low flame.
6. Stir spinach leaves occasionally and sauté them till raw smell goes. Add a pinch of sugar into it.
7. Switch off the flame and allow to cool down completely.
8. Remove bay leaf. Take a mixer grinder or blender. Put the cooled mixture and grind to a smooth puree.
9. Now heat the pan and pour the ground puree adding little water.
10. Crush the black peppercorns in a mortar pestle and add this to the spinach puree. Add required amount of salt too.
11. Mix well and add 3/4 th cup of hot milk. Stir continuously to avoid curdling of milk.
12. Bring it to boil. Boil for one more minute and switch off the flame.
13. Now the delicious spinach soup with mild flavours is ready. Transfer the soup into a soup serving bowl. Garnish the spinach soup with black pepper powder and cumin powder.
14. Enjoy this winter with healthy and tempting spinach soup.
1. I’ve added a pinch of sugar to the spinach while sautéing. It helps to retain the vibrant green colour of spinach leaves even after cooking.
2. I’ve added only milk. You can add tbsp of corn flour along with milk.
3. Garnish the soup with a dollop of cream.