Aratikaya Ava kura
Ava dish prepared with few vegetables is a traditional Andhra delicacy. We can prepare Ava kura with Raw plantain, bottle gourd, elephant yam and French beans. Aratikaya ava recipe is best suited for winter season. Because Ava (mustard) has the tendency to generate heat in the body. This recipe goes well with hot steamed rice. Here I present authentic Aratikaya Ava kura to remember grandmas traditional recipes. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Raw banana/plantain: 3 nos.
Mustard: 1 tsp
Green chillies: 3/4 nos.
Coriander leaves: Few(Optional)
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Salt: As required.
Oil: 2 tbsp
Black gram: 1 tsp
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Curry leaves: A sprig
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 3 raw bananas, rinse them well with water.
2. Peel the skin of raw bananas and chop them into fine pieces. Immerse chopped raw banana pieces in water.
3. Now transfer the chopped banana pieces onto a plate. Steam them in a pressure cooker along with rice for 5 whistles. You can also cook in a vessel with enough water.
4. Allow the pressure to settle down and open the lid.
5. Heat kadai and pour oil for tempering. Put mustard, cumin, black gram and Bengal gram.
6. When mustard splutter add a pinch of hing and curry leaves. Fry them for few seconds.
7. Now add steamed raw banana pieces into the tempering. Add turmeric and required amount of salt too.
8. Mix well and fry them on low flame.
9. Fry them on low flame for 5 minutes stirring at regular intervals. Switch off the flame.
10. Meanwhile take a mixer grinder and put the mustard seeds in it.
11. Grind the mustard into a fine powder adding a pinch of salt.
12. Now add green chillies and grind to a smooth texture.
13. Add this mustard paste to the sautéed raw banana mixture.
14. Mix thoroughly and allow the curry to set for 30 minutes.
15. Now the delicious aratikaya ava kura/raw banana mustard curry is ready to serve with hot steamed rice. Transfer the curry into a serving bowl and garnish with few coriander leaves.