Gutti Vankaya is a famous delicacy in Andhra Pradesh. There are many variations for preparing this recipe depending on the region. Today what I’ve prepared is very simple and easy recipe. To prepare the recipe I’ve added peanuts, sesame seeds, Bengal gram, black gram coriander seeds and coconut along with red chillies. The ingredients are dry roasted and ground to a paste and it’s stuffed into brinjals which are sautéed in oil. I’ve not added onions so this recipe can be prepared for special pooja days also. If onions are added to the recipe then it is similar to the Karnataka’s “Enne Badnekay” recipe. Same ingredients adding onions and omitting sesame seeds then it is Tamilnadu’s Ennai kathirikka recipe. Depending on the availability of ingredients I prepare the stuffing for brinjals. Garlic flakes can also be added. Here I present very handy Gutti Vankaya recipe to have a feast with other delicacies. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/curries
Cuisine: South Indian
Purple brinjals(Small): 10-15 nos.
Bengal gram: 2 tbsp
Black gram: 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds: 1 1/2 tbsp
Sesame seeds: 1 tbsp
Peanuts: 1 tbsp
Cashews: 5-10 nos.
Copra powder/grated fresh coconut: 1 tbsp
Red chillies: 6/7 nos.
Tamarind: Small lemon size
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
water: As required for grinding
Oil: 4 tbsp.
Curry leaves, coriander leaves: Few for garnishing.
Method of preparation:
1. Dry roast the ingredients Bengal gram, black gram, coriander seeds, peanuts, sesame seeds, cashews, copra powder and red chillies. First dry roast Bengal gram, black gram, peanuts and coriander seeds for 4/5 minutes. Then add cashews, sesame seeds. Fry for a minute and add red chillies. Fry them too for a minute and add copra powder or grated fresh coconut. Switch off the flame and mix thoroughly. Allow them to cool down.
2. Take a mixer grinder and put all the roasted ingredients. Add small piece of tamarind. Add required amount of salt and turmeric too.
3. Grind the roasted ingredients to get a smooth and fine paste adding required amount of water.
4. Transfer the ground paste into a bowl.
5. Take purple brinjals and rinse them well with water.
6. Slit the brinjals diagonally at the bottom, keeping the stalks intact. Check if any worms present. If any discard them and use remaining brinjals.
7. Put them in salt and turmeric water till we use.
8. Stuff all the brinjals with ground paste.
9. Heat kadai and pour generous amount of oil. Put all the stuffed brinjals and allow them to sauté on low flame. Pour the remaining ground paste on the brinjals.
10. Keep the lid and cook on low flame stirring occasionally.
11. It takes approximately 10-15 minutes for the brinjals to cook completely. Switch off the flame.
12. Now the delicious Gutti Vankaya/Stuffed Brinjal is ready. Transfer the brinjal curry into a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves, curry leaves and serve with hot steamed rice.
I’ve added generous amount of oil. Brinjals and the stuffing cooked in oil impart very nice flavour and taste to the recipe. You can reduce one tbsp of oil. Adding spices to the recipe is completely individual choice. You can add tomatoes and onions too to prepare the stuffing along with other ingredients.