Aloo methi is very flavourful dish which goes well with rice n roti. The mesmerising aroma of methi leaves with mild bitter taste and the softness of potatoes will definitely give a feel good experience. Aloo methi is very healthy and quick recipe. Potatoes and fenugreek leaves are sautéed in oil with mild spices. Here I present very tasty aloo methi which is served with hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/curry
Cuisine: North Indian
Potatoes: 3 nos.(Medium size)
Fenugreek leaves/methi: 2 big bunches
Garlic flakes: 3/4 nos.
Ginger: Half inch piece
Cumin powder: Half tsp
Garam masala/chole masala: Half tsp(Optional)
Red chilli powder: 3/4th tsp
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Sugar: A pinch(Optional).
Oil: 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Split black gram with husk: Half tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take two big bunches of methi leaves. I’ve used home grown methi leaves which are very fresh.
2. Take three medium size potatoes and keep aside.
3. Pluck the leaves from the stems and rinse thoroughly 2/3 times. Keep aside.
4. Now rinse potatoes under running water and peel the skin of them. Roughly chop the potatoes into bite size pieces. Immerse them in water till we use.
5. Now heat non stick pan/kadai, pour oil.
6. Put cumin seeds, split black gram. When black gram changes colour add a pinch of asafoetida into it.
7. Now add chopped ginger, garlic and sauté for few seconds.
8. Now add chopped potato cubes into the pan. Mix well.9. Now add generous pinch of turmeric. Mix thoroughly and sauté them on low flame.
11. Now add methi leaves and sauté them.
12. Sauté the potatoes and methi leaves on low flame for five minutes. Add required amount of salt.
13. Now add cumin powder and chole masala. Sauté for one minute.
14. Now add red chilli powder and stir continuously for few seconds. Switch off the flame and add a pinch of sugar. The addition of sugar enhances the taste of the curry.
15. Transfer the aloo methi into a serving bowl.
16. Now the appetizing aloo methi is ready to serve. Serve aloo methi with hot steamed rice and melted ghee.