This recipe is prepared with yellow lentils(Moong dal/pesara pappu) and bottle gourd. Moong dal and chopped bottle gourd are cooked together and tempering is done with mild spices. This recipe is pretty much popular in Andhra homes. Sorakaya pappu is very healthy and comforting recipe with pleasant taste. This recipe goes well with steamed rice or pulka too. Here I present Sorakaya pappu which can be served as an accompaniment to hot steamed rice. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/Dals
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Bottle gourd: Small piece or 1 cup chopped small cubes
Pesara pappu/Moong dal: 1 cup
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Salt: As required
Green chillies: 2 nos.
Coriander leaves: Few
Oil/ghee: 1 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Red chilli: 1 no.
Curry leaves: A sprig
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take small bottle gourd piece, peel the skin and remove the seeds. Chop them into small cubes.
2. Take one cup of moong dal in a heavy bottomed vessel and rinse once with water. Now add three cups of water into it.
3. Roughly chop green chillies into pieces and add them. Add chopped bottle gourd pieces too. Add a pinch of turmeric too.
4. Boil the moong dal and bottle gourd pieces together on low flame.
5. Cook them on low flame till the dal and bottle gourd pieces become mushy.
6. Heat pan or kadai, pour oil for tempering. Put mustard and cumin seeds.
7. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida, broken red chilli and curry leaves too. Switch off the flame.
8. Pour this tempering onto the dal.
9. Mix thoroughly and boil for one more minute. Switch off the flame.
10. Now the Sorakaya pappu is ready to serve with hot steamed rice or pulka. Garnish with coriander leaves.