Potlakaya vepudu/snake gourd fry is so tasty and can be prepared very easily. This is no onion no garlic recipe. Snake gourd is chopped into small pieces and shallow fried in oil. Spice powder(Jilakara karam) is added to enhance the flavour. Potlakaya vepudu goes well with steamed rice, rasam or sambar too. Here I present Potlakaya vepudu to relish on any day. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Snake gourd: 750 gms(Approximately)
Oil: 2 1/2 tbsp
Salt: As required
Jilakara Karam/Roasted Cumin Chilli powder: 2 tsp(Please click on the recipe link for detailed description)
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Coriander leaves: For garnishing.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 750 gms of snake gourd/Potlakaya. Rinse well with water. Slit them longitudinally and remove the seeds. Chop them into small pieces.
2. Heat big kadai and pour oil.
3. Put the chopped snake gourd pieces into the kadai.
4. Mix well and fry them on low flame.
5. Stir the snake gourd pieces occasionally and shallow fry them.
6. Add required amount of salt and generous pinch of turmeric.
7. Mix well and fry them till they are completely done. The procedure takes 45 minutes approximately.
8. Now add two tsp of jilakara karam into the fry and mix thoroughly. I’ve added freshly ground jilakara karam.
9. Stir continuously for one minute and switch off the flame.
10. Transfer the curry into a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with steamed rice and enjoy!!!
1. There are many variations of Potlakaya fry. While the Potlakaya fry preparation is same, by varying the spice powders, different flavours can be attained. I’ve added jilakara karam(roasted cumin and red chilli powder) for the recipe. Instead you can add roasted gram powder. Besan flour and red chilli powder also can be added.
2. Jilakara karam can be used for any stir/deep fry.