Gongura pappu is usually prepared with red sorrel leaves having white stems. But I had few bunches of gongura/red sorrel leaves with red stems. They are very sour, so few leaves are enough to prepare the pappu. Gongura pappu is prepared with toor dal and gongura leaves. The gongura Pappu is very tasty when served with hot steamed rice along with roasted sun dried chillies(Majjiga mirapakayalu). Here I present delicious and perfect winter recipe gongura pappu to relish. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/dals/lentils
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Red sorrel leaves: 3 small bunches
Toor dal: 1 cup
Green chillies: 3 nos.
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Garlic flakes: 4/5 nos.
Method of preparation:
1. Take three small bunches of gongura leaves.
2. Pluck leaves from the stems.
3. Rinse well with water 2/3 times and drain the water. Keep the leaves in a veggie basket till we use.
4. Roughly chop them and transfer the leaves into a heavy bottomed vessel. Add required amount of water. Slit and chop the green chillies and add them too.
5. Bring them to boil.
6. Meanwhile take one cup of toor dal. Rinse well with water and add two and half cups of water. Add generous pinch of turmeric. Pressure cook the dal along with rice for five whistles. Switch off the flame.
7. Allow the pressure to settle on its own. Open the lid and mash the steamed toor dal with a ladle. Keep aside.
8. Cook the gongura leaves till they become soft.
9. Now add the mashed dal to the cooked gongura leaves. Mix thoroughly.
10. Add required amount of salt and boil for five minutes.
11. Heat a kadai and pour oil for tempering.
12. Put mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add garlic flakes and a pinch of hing too.
13. Pour the tempering onto the gongura pappu/dal.
14. Mix well and boil for a minute. Switch off the flame.
15. Now the tasty gongura pappu is ready to serve hot. Transfer the Gongura pappu into a serving bowl and serve with roasted sun dried chillies.