Let’s start the new year with a healthy recipe. I’ve prepared simple and easy curry with Bobbarlu/black eyed peas/lobia. Black eyed peas are very rich in protein and fibre content. The curry is prepared in onion and tomato gravy with mild spices. Here I present healthy and delicious Bobbarlu curry which can be served as a side dish to steamed rice or roti too. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/curries
Bobbarlu: Half cup or two fistfuls
Onion: 1 no. Big
Tomatoes: 2 nos.
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1 tsp
Garam masala: 1 tsp
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few.
Sesame oil: 1 1/2 tbsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Hing: A pinch
Turmeric: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take half cup of Bobbarlu in a vessel.
2. Soak them in enough water overnight or for 8-9 hours.
3. After soaking they absorb water and become soft.
4. Pressure cook the black eyed peas along with water in a pressure cooker for 5/6 whistles. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to settle down on its own.
5. Meanwhile rinse onion and tomatoes with water. Chop them into small pieces.
6. Heat kadai and pour oil for tempering. Add mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of hing and turmeric into it.
7. Now add finely chopped onion pieces into it. Add a pinch of salt and mix thoroughly.
8. When the onions become translucent add chopped tomato pieces.
9. Sauté them on low flame till they become soft and mushy.
10. Now add chopped coriander leaves, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and red chilli powder too. Mix well and sauté for two minutes.
11. Now add steamed Bobbarlu into the onion tomato mixture.
12. Mix well and add half cup of water. Also add required amount of salt and few curry leaves too.
13. Boil the black eyed peas in onion tomato gravy for five minutes.
14. Switch off the flame. Now the healthy and tasty curry is ready to serve.
15. Transfer the curry into a serving bowl. Serve hot with steamed rice or chapathi/pulka.
I’ve added chopped tomatoes to prepare the gravy. Instead tomato puree can be added too.