Chana-Matar pops are hi protein kebabs. To prepare them I’ve used brown chick peas(Chana) and green peas(Matar). Both legumes are rich in protein content. Usually kebabs are prepared in a grill or pan using a skewers. But instead of skewers I’ve used sugarcane sticks which are edible. After preparing the kebabs with sugarcane sticks my kids were very much excited to taste them. Soaked brown chick peas and green peas are boiled and mashed. Chole masala powder and coriander powders are added to the mashed legumes. The mashed dough is rolled into small balls and adhered to sugarcane sticks. They are shallow fried in a tawa with little ghee and served with tomato ketchup. Here I present power packed protein snack chana–matar pops to relish. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Brown chick peas: 1 small cup
Fresh/frozen Green peas: 1 small cup
Chole masala/garam masala: 1 tsp
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Turmeric: A pinch
Ghee: 2 tsp for roasting
Sugarcane sticks: Few.
Method of preparation:
1. I have used sugarcane sticks which are freshly harvested cane from one of my friends farm.
2. Remove the outer layer with knife and cut them into thin sticks. Keep aside.
3. Soak brown chickpeas/chana for 8-9 hours.
4. Now take small pressure cooker and pour the water along with soaked chickpeas.
5. Now add green peas also into it. I’ve used frozen green peas. Add required amount of salt and a pinch of turmeric.
6. Steam them for 10 whistles on high flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to settle on its own.
7. Now open the lid and drain the excess water using strainer.
8. Transfer the steamed brown chickpeas and green peas into a bowl.
9. Mash them thoroughly with hand or using a blender.
10. Add chole masala and coriander powder. Chole masala Suits best for chana. So I’ve added it, instead you can add garam masala too.
11. Mix thoroughly. Grease palm with little ghee and make round balls of equal size.
12. Now take each ball and put them to stick to the sugarcane pieces. Likewise prepare all the sugarcane sticks with steamed brown chickpeas and green peas dough.
13. Now heat tawa and pour ghee into it. Arrange all the prepared sticks onto the tawa.
14. Shallow fry them on low flame. Turn them at regular intervals and fry on all sides.
15. Transfer the fried chana-matar pops/brown chickpeas green peas kebabs onto a plate.
16. Now the delicious chana-matar pops are ready to serve.
17. Serve them hot with tomato ketchup and enjoy the Chana – Matar pops with juicy sugarcane sticks.
I’ve prepared the chana matar pops just using chana and matar. You can add boiled and mashed potato, chopped onion,green chillies, coriander leaves too.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.