Gutti kakarakaya vepudu
Gutti kakarakaya vepudu/Bitter gourd fry is an awesome recipe especially for bitter gourd lovers. All our family members are great fans of bitter gourd. This is very simple, quick and delicious recipe. Bitter gourds are chopped without cutting the base and fried them in oil. Fried bitter gourds are stuffed with besan, red chilli powder, cumin seeds mixture along with salt. Later the stuffed bitter gourds are shallow fried to infuse all the flavours into the bitter gourd. Here I present yummy Gutti kakarakaya vepudu which is served as an accompaniment to steamed rice topped with melted ghee. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Side dish/accompaniment
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Bitter gourd: 350 gms or 15-20 nos.(Small)
Oil: 2 tbsp
Besan flour: 2 1/2 tbsp
Red chilli powder: 2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Salt: As required
Hing: A pinch
Curry leaves: Few.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 350 gms(Approximately) of fresh bitter gourds in a veggie basket. Rinse them well with salted water to remove the bitterness of the gourds partially. Slit them into halves without cutting the base of the bitter gourds. Remove the seeds. Immerse them in salt water for five minutes.
2. Transfer the bitter gourds onto a plate.
3. Now heat kadai and pour oil.
4. Now fry few bitter gourds at a time on low to medium flame stirring at regular intervals.
5. Likewise fry all the bitter gourds and transfer them onto a plate.
6. Now take 2 1/2 tbsp of besan flour, 2 tsp of red chilli powder, few cumin seeds, a pinch of hing and required amount of salt onto a plate.
7. Mix thoroughly and stuff the mixture into the fried bitter gourds.
8. Now again fry the stuffed bitter gourds in the same leftover oil for 3/4 minutes or till the raw smell goes away. Fry them also in batches to avoid overcrowding.
9. After frying all the stuffed bitter gourds, put them all back into the kadai. Check for salt and add if required any.
10. Now add few curry leaves and give it a stir. Switch off the flame.
11. Now the delicious stuffed bitter gourd fry is ready to serve. Transfer the fry into a serving bowl and serve hot.
I’ve used small bitter gourds for stuffing. If you don’t find them take large bitter gourds, chop them into pieces and repeat the same process as mentioned above.