This is simple South Indian flavoured rice which can be prepared on any festive occasion. I’ve prepared coconut rice for Pongal festival along with other delicacies. Coconut rice can be prepared as naivedhyam to offer to God during Navratri festival days. The coconut rice is mildly flavoured with cardamom pods and prepared with grated fresh coconut along with South Indian tempering. The coconut rice can be served plain and also with any vegetable stew. Here I present tasty coconut rice to celebrate any auspicious day. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Cuisine: South Indian
Basmati rice: 2 cups
Water: 4 cups
Grated fresh coconut: 3 tbsp or 1 small cup.
Salt: As required.
Oil: 3 tbsp
Chana dal: 2 tsp
Urad dal: 2 tsp
Mustard: 1 1/2 tsp
Ground nuts/peanuts: 1 tbsp
Cashew nuts: Few
Sundried chillies: 5/6 nos.
Red chillies: 1/2 nos.
Green chillies: 4/5 nos.
Cardamom pods: 3/4 nos.
Curry leaves: Few.
Method of preparation:
1. Take two cups of basmati rice. Rinse well two times with water and soak in four cups of water for 30 minutes.
2. After thirty minutes of soaking, put three drops of oil and pressure cook the rice for 5 whistles on high flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to settle on it’s own.
3. Now heat kadai, pour oil for tempering. Put Chana dal, Urad dal, peanuts, sundried chillies and mustard.
4. When mustard splutter add a pinch of hing, cashews, cardamom pods, curry leaves, broken red chillies and chopped green chillies too. Mix well and fry for a minute. Cardamom pods give very nice flavour to the coconut rice.
5. Take grated coconut and add it to the tempering. Switch off the flame and Mix thoroughly.
6. Now open the lid of the pressure cooker and transfer the steamed basmati rice into the tempering.
7. Mix well and add required amount of salt.
8. Now the yummy coconut rice is ready to serve.
9. Transfer the coconut rice into a serving bowl and enjoy.
1. I’ve mixed the roasted sundried chillies with coconut rice. Instead, you can roast them separately and can be added at the end to remain crunchiness.
2. Mix vegetable kurma can be served as an accompaniment to coconut rice. The combination tastes so good.
3. If you like sesame seeds, roasted sesame seeds can be added which are healthy and tasty too.
4. Basmati rice can be replaced with raw rice(Sona masoori) too. If using raw rice the ratio of rice to water is 1:2.5( For one cup of rice use two and half cups of water). Use always old rice for better results.
Vegetable Kurma(Please click on the recipe link for detailed recipe).
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.