Dondakaya vepudu/Ivy gourd stir fry is a simple recipe and tastes awesome when served hot. Ivy gourds are rinsed well and chopped into tiny pieces. The ivy gourd pieces are shallow fried in a kadai adding oil, salt and turmeric. Garlic flakes, grated fresh/frozen coconut and green chillies are ground to a smooth texture and added to the ivy gourd pieces. Tempering is done and mixed with the ivy gourd fry at the end. Ivy gourd fry can be served with hot steamed rice, rasam or sambar as an accompaniment. Here I present delicious dondakaya vepudu/ivy gourd stir fry to relish anyday. Njoy Cooking, Serving n Savoring!
Course: Accompaniment/Side dish
Cuisine: Andhra, India
Dondakaya/Ivy gourd: 750 gms.(Approximately)
Oil: 2 – 2 1/2 tbsp
Fresh/frozen coconut: 1 1/2 tbsp
Garlic flakes: 6/7 nos.
Green chillies: 3/4 nos.
Salt: As required
Turmeric: Generous pinch
Curry leaves: A sprig
Coriander leaves: Few.
Oil: 1 tsp
Bengal gram: 1 tsp
Split black gram with husk: 1 tsp
Mustard: 1 tsp
Cumin: 1 tsp
Asafoetida: A pinch.
Method of preparation:
1. Take 750gms. Of ivy gourd, rinse thoroughly 2/3 times with water. Because lots of dirt present in them. Drain the excess water.
2. Chop them into tiny semi circular pieces and keep aside.
3. Heat kadai and pour oil. Now add the chopped ivy gourd pieces into the oil. Mix well.
4. Shallow fry them on low flame stirring at regular intervals.
5. Once they are three fourth done add turmeric and required amount of salt too.
6. Mix well and continue the frying process.
7. Meanwhile take a mixer grinder, put grated coconut, garlic flakes and green chillies.
8. Grind them to get a smooth mixture and keep aside.
9. Now check the Ivy gourd fry and when it’s done completely add the ground mixture into it. Also add few curry leaves.
10. Mix thoroughly and fry till raw smell of the mixture goes away.
11. Now heat small kadai and pour one tsp of oil for tempering. Put Bengal gram, split black gram with husk, mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard splutter add a pinch of asafoetida and switch off the flame.
12. Pour this tempering onto the ivy gourd fry. Add chopped coriander leaves too. Mix well and switch off the flame.
13. Now the delicious dondakaya vepudu/ivy gourd stir fry is ready to serve.
14. Transfer dondakaya vepudu/ivy gourd stir fry into a serving bowl and serve with hot steamed rice.
Thank you for visiting akshayakumbham and leaving comments. Your comments are really appreciated.